This picture is one of my favorites, because it captures the profound love and joy we had for one another. Every time I look at this picture I feel my mom, the remarkable way she had of being there in the moment, and how special she made me feel. This picture of us was snapped moments before I walked down the aisle to exchange vows with Mark.
My mom was and still is the most special woman in my life. And this is my six word memoir of some of what my mom taught me:
Be open. Be positive. Embrace life.
Just in case you didn’t know, I am a columnist for the adoption network, Grown My Heart. GIMH, as we fondly refer to ourselves, is a group of writers who are connected to adoption—birth parent, surrogacy, attorney, foster parent, adoptive parent, adoptee, adoption professional, and more. We write from our perspectives, experiences and expertise.
In honor of Mother’s Day and all mothers, GIMH is having a carnival. I am inviting YOU to participate. So, what do you have to do?
- Post a picture of your mother (the one you most refer to as a mom). This could be your grandmother, your birthmother, your aunt, your sister, your biological mom, your adoptive mom, your best friend, your surrogate mom… you get the idea.
- Include a Six-Word-Memoir (no more!) with the picture describing her/what she means to you. (Hey, Ernest Hemingway did this, “For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.”)
- Link back to GIMH with Mr. Linky. You’ll see the link when you visit.
- Don’t have a blog? No problem. Just email our GIMH moderator your carnival submission to GIMH at pickelfam at yahoo dot com
- If you are not in the adoption community you can STILL enter! Please do because we have some amazing prizes to give away. I’ve listed the prizes below. Drum roll please…
- Red Garnet Earrings from susi D. jewelry
- Gift Set of the ENTIRE Softlips Lip Care Line
- Dazzle Dry’s 3 Piece Nail System
- Two Chicken Soup for the Soul Books (winner’s choice from a list) (***Note: I have a story published about my mom in the Thanks Mom edition, so IF you win this you should get this edition and if you don’t win you might consider giving a copy of the book to the special mom(s) in your life)
- Epson Stylus NX515
- Born Free Gift Set
- HP Photosmart A636 Compact Photo Printer
Winners will be selected on Wednesday the 12th. Good luck!
And to all of you moms out there, an early and very Happy Mother’s Day!