Delayed in Translation


Adopting from Guatemala was wonderful, because we were aware of how the process was proceeding. It was nice to be kept abreast of Greyson’s growth, milestones and have continuous pictures – some with him wearing clothes we had sent.


Adopting from Guatemala was extremely challenging at times, because we were aware of how the process was proceeding.  We were, okay – I was, looking at the benchmarks of the process constantly and driving myself nuts. Information about him came regularly; almost a “180” compared to our adoption experiences with China, where we knew nothing until receiving our baby’s referral four to eight weeks before traveling. p2230257


Greyson’s journey home was fraught with delays. What we thought might be a five to six month wait, took nine. The first delay came over the Christmas holidays, when most of Guatemala shut down for most of the month of December. Our paperwork had been received, but it sat, unattended for forty-five days. Then we ran into the two week Semana Santa (Easter) and that put us back a few more weeks. We went down to see him shortly after that, to hold our six month old son and bring back the memories of his scent, feel, and taste. We took tons of pictures to share with our kids, family, and friends back home. As wonderful as it was to spend the five days with him, it was painful to leave.  


We believed we would be bringing our new baby boy home in two months or so, but received a phone call in June. We had been pulled out of PGN (Procuradoria General de la Nacion). During translation an “s” was added to one of our last name once in the entire dossier and, yep, they kicked out our case. We had been about a week away from getting the pink slip (issued by the U.S. Embassy after the adoption has been approved and the adoption decree is issued). 


Now, in Guatemala, they don’t fix it and put your dossier back in line, they escort you to the back of the line. There are no words to express how I felt…


So the clock started over, roughly three more months of being on pins and needles – would it happen again?


It didn’t. We flew through the second time and upon receiving word that his paperwork was finalized, we (with Holden) were packed and on a plane within twenty-four hours.


We returned home eight days later. The girls couldn’t wait to absorb him, falling all over themselves to get to him. I had them sit down . Greyson crawled over and plopped into Aubry’s lap, like he’d been doing it from the day he was born. 




Filed under Guatemala, International Adoption, Multicultural Families, Parenting

4 responses to “Delayed in Translation

  1. Hey! I know this entry is a year old but I just found your blog through Grown in my Heart. We also adopted our son from Guate and I can oh-so-relate to your story/frustrations! By the time we got out of PGN with an approval we’d seen 13 previos!

    I’m excited to add your blog to my reader. You have a beautiful family!

  2. We adopted our daugter and son from Guatemala as well. I had to beg our updates out of our agency but we did get them .Our process was also 9 months start to home for two.

    • theinternationalmom

      Hi Stephanie,
      I believe what tests us (patience is tested to the max during the adoption process) makes us stronger…and more appreciative. There is nothing like finally holding your child after the long wait. Congratulations!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s